We suggest that only experienced professionals use a power washer when deck cleaning or exterior wood cleaning. That being said, it will obviously make your deck cleaning a lot quicker if you do use a power washer. If you use a power washer please follow these guidelines.
- Always use a deck cleaner and or a deck stripper. The cleaners do 90% of the work.
- Use the power washer as a high pressure rinse off. Never as the only tool to remove or clean the wood.
- Wash with a motion similar to sweeping of broom (pendulum motion). Wash with the grain of the wood. Exaggerate your sweeping motion, never stop and reverse your direction without sweeping up. Not doing this will result in a "stop" mark on your decking.
- Never use more than 1200 psi of pressure. This does not mean you cannot use a 3000 psi machine. It is only 3000 psi if you are washing from 1 inch away. If you are 8-12 inches away you will be using about half the amount of pressure.
- Always use extreme caution when using a power washer. Improper use could result in severe damage to wood. If you do not feel qualified, contact a professional in your area.
Other Related Must Reads!
- 101 Wood Deck Restoration Tips
- 10 Myths for Wood and Deck Restoration
- Stain a Deck in Two Hours
- Wood and Deck Cleaning Tips
- Wood and Deck Stripping Tips
- Wood and Deck Brightening Tips
Comments (13)Subscribe to this comment's feed
Ask a Question or Write Review