Restoring Exterior Brick Pavers
The steps needed to restore your Brick Pavers are relatively easy. All you need to do is clean, resand if needed, and apply a sealer. Paver Sealers can enhance the natural colors of your brick and come in Matte, Semi-Gloss, and Higher Gloss shine. If a "shiny" appearance is not desired then you can just add a Concrete Water Repellent for Protection only.
- The use of a pressure washer is suggested when cleaning the brick pavers. Cleaning chemicals are not needed when removing dirt, grime, and vegetation. If you have stains on your brick pavers then we would suggest using a cleaner that is specific to the type of stain. i.e. Rust remover to clean rust, Oil stain remover to clean oil drips, etc.
- Removal of old paver sealers is suggested if your previous sealer has failed. Usually this is noticeable by a yellowing or whitening of the old sealer. If you do not have any discoloration, then it is not needed to remove the old coatings. Paver Stripper
- Allow the brick pavers to dry thoroughly for 1-2 days.
- If needed, sweep in new jointing sand between the stones. There is many types of sand that you could use. The most popular is playsand or babysand. Other options can be jointing sand and polymeric sand. These types of sand are usually found only at paver stone yards. Make sure the sand is dry and not wet!
- Blow or sweep off excess sand. We strongly suggest that the sand level is at least 1/4" from the top of beveled edge of the paver bricks. Be very careful to remove all the sand!
- Apply sealer by rolling or spraying. If rolling, take extreme caution to make sure that you are not removing the sand from the joints and leaving it on top of the pavers! A sponge type roller usually works better then a nap roller. If spraying a solvent based sealer, you must use a heavy duty metal sprayer. Cheap plastic sprayers will not work with solvent based brick paver sealers but they will work with water based. Do not apply sealer to wet or high moisture content pavers! The sealer will turn whitish in color.
- Let dry for 3-4 fours for foot traffic and 24 hours for vehicular or heavy duty traffic.
*Make sure that you follow all manufacturers instructions.