New or Gray looking Decks/Wood
When cleaning Wood or Decks, use a cleaning product similar to Restore-A-Deck or the Defy Wood Deck Cleaner. This will open the pores and remove any graying and or dirt. This is important even for new wood. New wood has a mill glaze that should be removed prior to any stain application. For removal of old coatings see Wood and Deck Stripping.
- Wet deck down thoroughly with water. Take extra care to pre-rinse vegetation.
- Apply Deck Cleaner following manufacturer's directions. Most cleaners can be applied with a pump-up sprayer. The cleaner should dwell on the wood for 5-15 minutes. Make sure that you mist the deck with water if it starts to dry. Use protective clothing, glasses,and gloves. We sell environmentally friendly products but they can still cause a reaction to skin and eyes.
- Pressure Wash or Hand Scrub the wood to remove dirt, graying, mold, mildew. See here for proper pressure washing instructions. If there is a previous coating and it starts to come off unevenly, then you may want to consider using a Deck Stripper. This will ensure a more even appearance when stained.
- When done washing take time to rinse all wood, home, vegetation, etc to remove the cleaner residue,grime, and wood fibers.
- Use a Wood Deck Brightener to "brighten" the wood and neutralize the cleaner back to the proper pH balance for the wood. This should dwell on the wood for 5-15 minutes. Once done make sure to rinse the wood, home, vegetation, etc.
- Wood should dry for 48 hours prior to a Deck Stain application.
*Make sure that you follow all manufacturers instructions.
Other Related Must Reads!