Previously Stained Deck/Wood
When removing a failed transparent wood or deck coating it is needed to use a Deck Stripper similar to Restore-A-Deck Stripper or RAD PaintStrip Gel This will soften the old coating allowing easier removal.
*This process will work on the majority of transparent and semi-transparent stains. It will not be as effective on solid or opaque stains.
- Wet wood or deck down thoroughly with water. Take extra care to pre-rinse vegetation and house.
- Apply Deck Stripper following manufacturer's directions. Most deck stripper can be applied with a pump-up sprayer. The stain stripper should dwell on the wood for 10-15 minutes. The wood will "darken" in color during this process. Make sure that you mist the deck with water if it starts to dry. Use protective clothing, glasses,and gloves. We sell environmentally friendly products but they can still cause a reaction to skin and eyes.
- Pressure Wash or Hand Scrub the wood to remove the old coating,dirt, graying, mold, mildew. See here for proper pressure washing instructions.
- When done washing take time to rinse the wood, home, vegetation, stripper suds, dirt and wood fibers.
- Use a Wood Deck Brightener to "brighten" the wood and neutralize the wood back to the proper pH balance. This should dwell on the wood for 5-15 minutes. Once done make sure to rinse the wood, home, vegetation, etc.
- Wood should dry for 48 hours prior to a Deck Stain application.
*Make sure that you follow all manufacturers instructions:
Other Related Must Reads!