The use of a wood deck brightener is needed for two main reasons. The first is that wood brighteners are designed to restore the wood's pH balance to neutral after using a deck cleaner or a stain stripper. The second is that the deck brightener will lighten the wood color making the stain look better and last longer when applied.
Applying a deck brightener is the easiest step in the restoration process and the most fulfilling. The results are almost immediate in that you will be able to see the wood lighten in color right in front of your eyes. Brighteners will improve the durability of the stain as well. Please see picture below:
How to brighten a deck:
- The deck will need to be cleaned first with a wood cleaner or stain stripper. It is normal for the caustic in the cleaner or stripper to darken the wood's pH balance. Make sure that the wood is thoroughly wet and rinsed from dirt and debris. The wood brightener should be applied as soon as possible.
- Wear protective clothing, gloves, and eye wear.
- Mix deck brightener concentrate according to directions.
- Applying the wood brightener with a pump sprayer is the easiest way. Thoroughly saturate all wood. No scrubbing or pressure washing is needed. Take care to minimize over spray onto any plants and aluminum siding/trim.
- Wait 10-20 minutes. You will see the wood lighten in color noticeably. Rinse all wood when done.
If you have any deck brightening questions please ask below. All questions are typically answered within a day.
Comments (17)Subscribe to this comment's feed
Ask a Question or Write Review