These tips will help you stain an average wood deck in 2 hours!
The suggestions below will help you speed up the process of applying a wood stain to a deck. It is best to apply a semi-transparent wood or deck sealer with a pad applicator or by low pressure spraying followed by a pad to ensure an even application.
*These steps are taking in consideration that you are applying a transparent or semi-transparent stain. These are tips and all manufacturer's instructions supercede these tips and should be read first!
- Mix product thoroughly. Fill Wooster bucket and pump sprayer with stain. Be careful of spilling onto grass or concrete!
- Do one section (about 4 feet) where the railings meet the house by hand with the Padco hand pad.
- Lay down Poly Tarp on outside of deck to protect concrete, bushes, grass, etc.
- Hang a 9x12 Canvas Tarp so that 4 feet hangs over one side, 4 feet the other side and is stretched 12 feet long on top of the rails.
- Using the pump up sprayer apply the stain by lifting up one side of the canvas tarp. The other side of the canvas will stop the over-spray. Walk around and do the opposite side the same way. Include outside edge of deck flooring as well.
- Slide canvas tarp down the railing and move the poly tarp to match on the outside. Immediately back wipe all the excess stain that dripped onto the flooring using the 18" Speed Mop, spreading it onto the bare floorboards.
- Using the Padco pads you should wipe the drips on the railings and look for any missed spots. Also you should apply a second coat (if needed) to the top of the railing.
- Repeat steps 5-7 all the way around the railings until you reach the opposite side. Do steps last.
- Once done with railings look over one more time for drips and missed spots.
- Using Padco pad slowly edge out the flooring that butts up to the house. Make sure you have a staggered line and that it is applied at least 2 feet away from the house.
- Using pump up sprayer lightly saturate the rest of flooring.
- Using Wooster Bucket and 18" Speed Mop, apply a second coat evenly over all the flooring. Make sure you apply as much as the wood will allow. Over applying can result in premature product failure on the horizontals! (Follow Manufacturer's Instructions as to how many coats are needed!)
- Finish steps with sprayer and Padco Pad.
- Properly dispose of pads. When applying an Oil-Based Stain, canvas tarps and any rags should be saturated with water and allowed to dry before disposing of. DO NOT leave tarps or any rags in direct sunlight or in/near the house. They can cause a fire!
We have used this method on over 6000+ decks. Hope this helps!
Other Related Must Reads!
- 101 Wood Deck Restoration Tips
- 10 Myths for Wood and Deck Restoration
- Wood and Deck Cleaning Tips
- Wood and Deck Stripping Tips
- Wood and Deck Brightening Tips
- Wood and Deck Pressure Washing Tips
Comments (30)Subscribe to this comment's feed
Ask a Question or Write Review